Temporomandibular dysfunction can be painful and actually make it difficult for you to go through your daily routine.
Our Elmhurst TMJ dentists provide the treatments that you need to manage TMJ problems. However, the first step is to determine whether your temporomandibular joints are damaged.
If you notice any of these problems popping up in your daily life, you should reach out to your dentist about having a TMJ evaluation. The sooner that you are able to seek treatment for TMJ problems, the better off you’ll be!
Many of the symptoms of TMJ disorder pop up when you are eating. This is because when you chew you really put your temporomandibular joints to work.
· You may notice that your jaw starts to feel sore when you chew
· Your jaw may also make a popping or clicking noise when you move it
· You may have trouble opening your mouth wide enough to take bites—it may actually feel like your jaw is “locking” in place
· You may notice that your bite is not fitting together like it used to
Additionally, TMJ disorder can be related to…
· Chronic headaches, as well as neck and shoulder pain
· Bruxism—chronic dental grinding and clenching
· Uneven dental wear and tear due to changes in your bite alignment
In order to effectively deal with TMJ it is important that you both support your jaw and protect your teeth from uneven wear and tear. Our dental team treats TMJ with personalized mouthpieces. These oral appliances help your jaw stay in a healthy position, so that your TMJ can rest.
Don’t suffer through TMJ problems alone—there are treatment options out there to keep you comfortable. Our Elmhurst TMJ dentists are here to help you through the entire treatment process. Give us a call!