More and more patients are choosing dental implants to replace missing teeth because they are long-term, immovable solutions. However, the treatment process for dental implants is somewhat complex, so many patients benefit from a review of the treatment process. Today our Elmhurst dentists are going to walk you through the implantation process step by step—hopefully by the end of this explanation you’ll feel comfortable talking to your dentist about dental implants for your smile.
1. Dental implant treatment begins with an assessment of your current smile. Because dental implants are surgically implanted into the jawbone, your mouth has to be healthy enough to undergo surgery. This means that your gum tissue needs to be healthy and capable of healing, and you have to have adequate bone density to support the titanium root of the implant.
Sometimes, if a patient has been missing a tooth for a long time, their bone tissue will have atrophied somewhat in the spot where the tooth used to sit. These patients may benefit from mini dental implants, or they may require reconstructive bone surgery before dental implant treatment.
2. Once your mouth is deemed healthy enough, the titanium root is implanted into the jawbone. The titanium root is inserted directly into the jawbone.
3. Your jaw and gum tissue will then be left to heal—this process generally takes a few months. Once your mouth is completely healed, the titanium root will be capped with natural-looking restorations.
4. The dental implant restorations are crafted to complement the size and shade of your natural teeth. You will consult with your dental implant dentists to ensure that you like the final appearance of your restorations.
5. The restoration is then attached to the titanium root with a small piece called an abutment. The abutment ensures a good fit and allows you to chew comfortably.
The dental implant process differs a little bit for every patient—at your consultation we can give you a better idea of how long your treatment, specifically, may take. You can schedule your consultation with our Elmhurst dental implant dentists by calling our office or by scheduling online!