It’s not only important how often you brush your teeth, it also matters how you brush your teeth. Many of us get complacent with our brushing habits over time; we may not take enough time and attention to thoroughly clean our dental enamel and gum tissue. With this knowledge, our Elmhurst dentist office has written this list of tips on how to brush for your best oral health. Try incorporating some of these suggestions into your regular routine.
1. Use a toothbrush with a bristle head that fits comfortably in your mouth—all the way to your back molars.
2. Use a toothbrush with appropriate bristles for your dental needs. Most patients will do well with a soft bristled toothbrush, but ask your dentist if you don’t know what types is right for you.
3. Every time you brush, clean your teeth for at least two minutes.
4. Move your toothbrush in small circular motions around your dental enamel and gum tissue. This motion gently buffs plaque away.
5. As you start the brushing motion, begin near the gum line, with your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle.
6. Remember, consistent, gentle pressure is best. Do not apply too much pressure as you move your toothbrush, as this will thin dental enamel over time.
7. Most patients should brush their teeth after they floss and before they use a mouth rinse or rinse with water.
As always, if you have any questions about your particular smile, our Elmhurst dentist office is here to help you. Please feel free to schedule a meeting with our dentist if you want to discuss your at-home or professional dental hygiene routines. You can reach our dental team by calling (630) 733-1624 or by using the inquiry form on our website to submit your contact information.