Timely and regularly scheduled preventive dentistry treatments can help you avoid a host of oral health problems in the future. Our Elmhurst dentists know firsthand how important preventive care is to pediatric as well as adult patients. Keep reading to learn more about the ins and outs of preventive dentistry.
The foundation of any healthy preventive oral hygiene routine is the professional dental cleaning. The general recommendation from the American Dental Association (ADA) is that patients complete professional cleanings every six months or so. These cleanings are so important because they:
- allow our team to clear away accumulated plaque and tartar
- provide regularly scheduled opportunities for our team to complete oral cancer screenings
- enable patients to get prompt treatment for emerging dental issues, before these dental problems becomes severe
If, during our evaluations of your smile, our team finds that your smile is potentially at risk of suffering from damage, we may recommend further preventive treatment:
- Topical fluoride treatments, for example, strengthen the patient’s natural dental enamel, and help teeth to stay strong and resilient over time. This type of treatment is often used in pediatric dentistry, but it may also be employed for adult patients with compromised teeth.
- Dental sealants protect vulnerable dental surfaces with a thin protective coating. Sealants are often placed on bite surfaces and back molars, as these spots are prone to accumulating plaque, tartar, and bacteria.
Even if it has been years since you’ve been in to see a dentist, our Elmhurst dentists are here to help you. Now is the time to get your smile back on track, so that you can optimize your oral health. If you have questions about the treatments we provide, or how to care for your smile at home, please feel free to call our office to schedule a consultation.