How Do TMJ Problems Change Over Time? Learn More From Our Elmhurst TMJ Dentists
Many people come to our Elmhurst TMJ dentist office because they are so bothered by TMJ symptoms in their daily lives. When TMJ-related problems first emerge, they can take many forms. You may, for example, notice that:
· Your jaw feels sore or stiff when you are moving it or when it is at rest
· You feel or hear a clicking or popping noise when you move your jaw
· It is difficult to open your mouth fully
Obviously, these side effects of TMJ disorder are really problematic and disruptive for people. TMJ patients need prompt and effective TMJ treatment so that they can regain their normal lives!
These patients also need to seek TMJ treatment so that they can, hopefully, avoid worsening TMJ symptoms in the future. You see, if TMJ dysfunction is left untreated, you will very likely find that your TMJ problems only become worse over time.
Left untreated, TMJ disorder may intensify and cause:
· Pretty severe jaw mobility problems. It might be uncomfortable, or impossible to chew and speak comfortably.
· Prominent headaches, jaw, head, neck, and even ear pain. TMJ pain can radiate throughout the upper part of your body.
· Undermined dental structure and even loss of jawbone density. TMJ problems are also often accompanied by bruxism (chronic dental grinding). These issues put intense pressure on the teeth and jawbones over time. This can lead to dental fracture and jawbone weakening.
As you would imagine, the sooner that you seek treatment for problems with your temporomandibular joint, the better your long-term prognosis. So as soon as you notice any issues with your jaw joint, please reach out to our Elmhurst TMJ dentists. We can assess your smile, pinpoint the cause of your jaw dysfunction, and offer you effective and convenient treatment solutions to fit your life.