Almost every patient that we speak to wants to show off a white, bright, and luminous smile. However, for many of us, this gets harder to achieve as time goes on. Daily life, and the realities of aging dental enamel, can make our smiles start to look dark, dull, and stained. The good news is that our Elmhurst cosmetic dentists have the tools and treatments necessary to refresh your smile again!
The first step in the treatment process is to determine precisely why your smile is looking discolored or dull. This type of aesthetic change can occur due to:
- Enamel thinning, which allows more of the yellow dentin to show through the surface of the tooth
- Accumulated environmental stains from foods, drinks, and especially tobacco products
- Damaged teeth, especially if the nerves or roots of the tooth have been damaged
- A buildup of unsightly plaque or tartar on the dental surface
Understanding why your smile looks discolored allows our team to personalize our treatment recommendations to suit your specific situation. You may end up using one of these treatment solutions, or combining a few for maximum results:
- Professional dental whitening treatment—using a concentrated topical gel, our dental team lifts discoloration from the tooth surface. This type of treatment is especially effective in combating environmental stains.
- Dental bonding—this treatment option actually covers unsightly enamel with a fresh layer of custom-shaded dental resin. Bonding takes only one day to complete, delivers immediate results.
- Porcelain veneers—this is another option that actually covers your natural enamel to achieve results. Every dental veneer is individually crafted to the patient’s specifications. Once the veneer is bonded in place, it completely transforms the visible tooth structure.
There is absolutely no reason to continue living with a smile that looks older or duller than you want it to look. Thanks to advances in the world of cosmetic dentistry, we now offer a range of solutions to dental discoloration! Remember, you can always call our Elmhurst cosmetic dentists to learn more and to schedule a personal consultation!