Keeping your teeth healthy, strong, and attractive for years to come requires a certain level of dedication and thoroughness. Although it may seem daunting, at first, to safeguard your smile for the long term, our Elmhurst dentists are here to make this task more manageable for you. That is why today we are going to be discussing some things that you, as a dental patient, can do in order to boost your oral health.
Let’s start with the basics: oral bacteria build up on the dental enamel and gum tissue throughout the day and night. These bacteria weaken dental enamel and infect gum tissue—leading to cavities, and periodontal disease.
The goal, therefore, is to minimize oral bacteria as much as possible. This is no small task, as oral bacteria are always multiplying.
Start by cleaning as much bacteria from your mouth as you can. You can do this by:
· Brushing your teeth morning and night
· Flossing every night
· Rinsing your mouth with water throughout the day
· Completing professional dental cleanings according to the schedule recommended by your dentist
Additionally, you want to make it hard for oral bacteria to grow and multiply in your mouth. In order to do this you should:
· Avoid, as much as possible, substances with high levels of sugars and carbohydrates—bacteria love to feed on these! Healthy vegetables and fruits are much better for your body and your mouth.
· Drink plenty of water so as to ensure healthy saliva production (saliva neutralizes bacteria and oral acids)
Our friendly dental team can give you all of the additional guidance and support that you need. When you are ready to get started, please feel free to reach out to our Elmhurst dentist office. We look forward to speaking with you!