When you clean your smile well at home, you help to stop plaque before it is able to damage and weaken your smile. You probably already know that it is important for you to brush and floss your teeth at home, but do you know exactly how you should be doing these things? Our Elmhurst dentists have some tips and recommendations for you!
Let’s start with your brushing routine…
1. Brush every morning and every night before bed
2. Brush your teeth and gums for at least two minutes each time that you brush
3. Apply gentle pressure, so as not to irritate your oral tissues
4. Use a soft bristled toothbrush to prevent enamel thinning (ask your dentist if you think that you may need a firmer toothbrush—your dentist can advise you)
5. Move your toothbrush in small circular motions of the flat surfaces of your teeth
6. Replace your toothbrush every three months or so, so that you are working with clean and effective bristles
What about flossing?
1. Floss at night, right before you brush your teeth
2. Floss between every one of your teeth—don’t skip!
3. As you clean between your teeth, move your floss gently up and down and from side to side
4. Guide your piece of floss down into your gum tissue—don’t force it
5. Start with a long piece of floss, and move incrementally down it as you move from tooth to tooth. This will help to ensure that you are always using a clean section of floss as you move through your smile.
If you have questions about how to optimize your oral hygiene routine, our Elmhurst dentists can give you all of the guidance and information that you need to succeed. You can speak to a member of our friendly team by calling our office, or using our website to submit a question.