As family dentists, our Elmhurst dental team is committed to helping patients of all ages maintain optimal oral health. There are some special considerations to keep in mind when helping young patients safeguard their smiles. Keep reading to learn more about what we emphasize when working with kids!
At-home oral hygiene routine
Develop good habits—we want to help our young patients get into the habit of brushing their teeth every morning and evening, and flossing once a day. Make this part of your family’s daily schedule so that it becomes an engrained part of your child’s routine. A thorough oral hygiene routine helps to:
- Minimize plaque accumulation
- Fight bad breath
- Prevent cavity and gum disease development
- Reduce enamel discoloration
- Allow your child to retain his or her primary teeth until their adult teeth are ready to emerge
The ADA recommends that all patients complete professional dental cleanings and assessments at least twice a year. When young patients have positive experiences in the dentist’s office, they are less likely to experience dental fear and anxiety as adults. During your child’s appointment we:
- Clear away bacterial plaque and tartar—because tartar is calcified plaque, it can only be removed by professional methods
- Treat existing infections before they spread
- Head-off any future structural dental problems
- Make recommendations for at-home care, to improve its efficacy
As always, our Elmhurst dentists are here to answer any questions that you have about pediatric and family dental care. The easiest way to get started is to schedule a consultation with our team by phone or through our Contact Us page.