The new year is upon us, and it’s time to set some resolutions for 2019! Our Elmhurst dentists want to take this opportunity to encourage you to focus on your smile and your oral health as you set your goals. Keep reading to get an idea of some of the simple resolutions you can set.
- Upgrade your oral hygiene tools
So many of us forget to switch out our toothbrushes on a regular basis (around every three months), and, unfortunately, this can harm our smiles. Now is the time to replace your toothbrush, and to make sure that your floss is meeting your needs.
- Reassess your daily dental routine
Talk to your dentist about whether you need to take any special care your daily oral hygiene routine. The general recommendation from the American Dental Association is that patients brush their teeth morning and night, and floss before bed. However, people with existing oral health issues may need to adopt specialized routines.
- Make a schedule for your six-month professional cleanings
So many people fall behind on their recommended schedules of professional cleanings because life just gets too busy. As you set your intentions for the new year, call your dental team and get your semi-annual cleanings on the books!
- Seek treatment for any existing oral health issues immediately
Start the new year off right with a clean dental slate. If you have been putting off repairing dental cracks or chips, or filling a cavity, our dental team is here to help you.
- Make a plan to drink more water
Drinking plenty of water is great for your whole-body health, and it helps your mouth to produce enough saliva. Make a resolution to drink more water this year; here are some simple hacks that can help you achieve this goal:
- Fill a pitcher or jug with all of the water you want to drink during the day, and portion it out as the day goes on.
- Set a timer, so that you drink a glass of water ever hour, for example. The timer will help you be mindful of your water consumption.
- Replace soft drinks and juice with water at meals.
The dawning of a new year is the perfect time to re-evaluate your oral health, and make change for the better. As always, please reach out to our Elmhurst dentists to learn more and to schedule a personal consultation!