It’s that time of year—new year’s resolutions abound! As you’re thinking about how you want to head into this new year, don’t forget to prioritize your smile. Now is the perfect time to address oral health issues and achieve a strong and healthy smile. Keep reading to learn more about how you can get started!
- Schedule your semi-annual professional cleanings
The American Dental Association recommends that patients complete professional cleanings and assessments every six months or so. These appointments help you avoid oral health issues like cavities and periodontal disease. Take the time now to schedule these appointments with your dentist, and mark them on your calendar!
- Revamp your daily routine
Head into the new year doing everything you can to care for your smile at home. Make sure that you’re brushing morning and night, and flossing at least once a day before bed. Daily dental maintenance is essential for minimizing plaque and tartar accumulation. Additionally, you can:
- Make sure you’re using a toothbrush with the appropriate type of bristles—most patients will do well with a soft-bristled brush. These toothbrushes clean effectively without being too abrasive.
- Try to brush for at least two minutes every time that you clean your smile. Gentle, sustained brushing is the best way to clear your smile of plaque and dental debris.
- Get into the habit of drinking water and rinsing your smile with water after eating. This not only clears away debris; it also prompts saliva production, and saliva neutralizes bacteria and re-mineralizes dental enamel.
If you want to learn more about how you can care for your smile this year, you can always contact our Elmhurst dentists by phone or through the Contact Us page on our website. We are happy to give you all of the information and support that you need to move toward a smile that you truly love.