Most of us know that we need to keep our eyes open for classic dental problems—like cavities and tooth loss. However, there are many oral health problems that are lesser known, but just as potentially damaging for the patient’s smile. One of these potential problems is TMJ dysfunction.
TMJ problems occur when a person’s temporomandibular joint is somehow damaged or misaligned. This joint—which connects your bottom jaw to your skull—is obviously pretty important to your everyday life. So our Elmhurst TMJ dentists are helping you recognize TMJ symptoms about which you should be concerned.
The good news is that if you do suffer from TMJ dysfunction, it is likely that you will notice some attention-grabbing symptoms.
· Pain that localizes around your jaw joint, your neck, head, and even your ear. This pain may be dull or sharp.
· Tooth pain in the very back of your mouth, this pain may come and goes throughout the day.
· You might actually feel a “pop” or hear a “click” when you move your temporomandibular joint.
· As TMJ progresses, it can become difficult for a patient to even open his or her mouth enough to take large bites or yawn.
· It is possible that TMJ problems may also cause you to hear ringing in your ears
· If you suffer from chronic headaches, especially in the morning, TMJ might be to blame.
If you do happen to suffer from these issues, you should call your dentist and seek treatment right away. Not only will effective TMJ treatment help you feel better in the short term, it will also decrease your probability of suffering from even more severe TMJ problems in the future.
As always, our Elmhurst TMJ dentist office is here to give you any of the additional information that you may need.